Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

We taught Siri to add tasks to Remember The Milk

emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Yup, just what the title says. :)

You can now ask Siri to remind you (e.g., "Remind me to pick up the milk"), and the task will be magically added to Remember The Milk.

See the blog post for more details and a demo video.

We hope you like it!
Posted at 9:55am on October 19, 2011
action.manager says:
Awesome!

Maybe a/the reason to buy the 4S after all... ;)
Posted 12 years ago
just_dmitry says:
I don't have 4S, but I have an idea how to user this feature for other task (with iCal-export and dates and times).

I added new 'CalDAV" account to my iPad, as blog post says (previously disabling existing iCal account) - "successfully" added.

But! This calendar is empty (there is no my existing tasks in it), and after manually adding task to this calendar - it does NOT appeared at RTM.

What I'm doing wrong? I guess that Siri is not describer in CalDAV specs and is not required to communicate iPad <-> CalDAV...
Posted 12 years ago
m.a.harradine says:
Sweet! Works a treat...
Posted 12 years ago
pianodork says:
Bravo! I was wondering how long it'd take you guys to figure it out and I have to say - that was fast! ;-)

It looks like the best option then is to just mark it done on the iphone right away. That doesn't seem to effect the item that gets pushed to RTM and then you don't have to deal with two items, right?

I still want to use reminders for things like "remind me when I get home" - I'm trying to figure out how to sort those now (as they just create an item in RTM's inbox without a date or location - maybe I just need to clean those out every once and a while?)

Very excited! Just thinking outloud about the implications ;-)
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Is there any way to get this working with iCal on OSX?
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
If we can get the details for this dialog it's probably possible to get this working:
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/7646/screenshot20111019at153.png
Posted 12 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Thanks for your feedback everyone.

just_dmitry, this only integrates to be able to add tasks via Siri; sorry for any inconvenience. You can still manage your tasks via the Remember The Milk iPhone/iPad app.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Can we have any "Smart Add" via Siri besides due date? For Priority, Lists, locations, etc.?
Posted 12 years ago
beanj007 says:
Awesome! Will location-aware reminders still work? (i.e. 'remind me to do X when i leave work' syncing to RTM... will i get any kind of popup on my iPhone?)
Posted 12 years ago
ehedaya says:
Ooh, bummer, I thought this meant you could sync your RTM tasks and use the built-in reminders app.
Posted 12 years ago
beanj007 says:
I can confirm that no, no location aware reminders. However, you can still use Siri to say: "Add reminders reminder to do X when i get home" and it will add it to the default reminders list on the phone, and not RTM. Also, you can rename the "Reminders" list at icloud.com clicking on the calendar to something like 'iCloud', and say 'add icloud reminder to X when i leave work' to avoid the confusing double wording. :P
Posted 12 years ago
njustn says:
Really happy to see this feature, but a couple of things.

1) siri can add to non-default lists by name "add cucumbers to my shopping list" for example does as one would expect, there are other ways to phrase it as well such that tasks with due dates work as well.

2) Is there any way to tie into multiple lists through the CalDAV interface yet? Having siri to add tasks is awesome, but working with reminders on anything but the iPhone itself is a nightmare, being able to use RTM instead would be fantastic.
Posted 12 years ago
steve.m.watson says:
My 2 cents:
At this point I still like using SIRI's default list so I can use location based reminders. However I would suggest that you rename your Remember the milk list to something simple such as "Milk"; so you can still add to Remember the milk in the following way.
"Add milk reminder to "
Posted 12 years ago
steve.m.watson says:
Please add .do whatever. .remind time. to the end of that command on SIRI. (Sorry that part was filtered out of the comment ..for some reason)
Posted 12 years ago
garyjoy says:
Thanks beanj007! I had changed my default back to the iPhone reminders App because I couldn't do location-based reminders on RTM but I'll take the approach you've described instead... Great work RTM!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
It's creating the item on RTM but why doesn't it stay on my phone? :(
Posted 12 years ago
arminta7 says:
I do love this, but it would be even better for me if the item was synced to RTM and stayed in the iPhone reminders app so I could use location based notifications as well. Is there a way to do this? (Or RTM could just add location based notifications and the problem is solved! lol) Thanks guys!
Posted 12 years ago
jongoldman says:
Is there any way to have RTM parse the incoming text line to add tags? I am able to create the task "Pay a bill #bills" but that is the full title instead of being parsed out to a tag.

Any way to change the API?
Posted 12 years ago
adobkin says:
I have my Default List set to something other than Inbox in RTM on my iPhone 4S, as indicated in the FAQ, yet Siri always puts my new tasks in Inbox. They get mixed in with other tasks there and are sometimes hard to find and edit afteward. Is there something else I have to do to get them to be created in a separate list?
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
nice now i am able to create tasks easily
Posted 12 years ago
beaugiles says:
It looks like they've artificially limited this to iOS. When trying to setup the CalDAV account on Mac OS X Lion, looking through the traffic you can see that it's getting a '412 Precondition Failed' error
http://cl.ly/3d013Y0O0S2g1M3R2o33
Swap out the user agent from 'CoreDAV/115.19 (11C73)' to 'iOS/5.0.1 (9A405) Preferences/1.0' and we're in luck.
Please RTM team, why have you limited this? I'd definitely use RTM more if I had a native client that stored data offline... and is baked into the OS like iCal is.
Please reconsider?
Cheers.
Posted 12 years ago
richard.rumley says:
Will there be a limitation for non-pro users?
If I add several tasks a day, will only the first one "sync" up with the server, and I'll need to wait 24 hours until the rest of them sync up?

The other day, I used Siri to remind me to monitor a task. I set a 20 minute reminder, and then a bunch of 2 minute reminders until my job was done. Not quite GTD, but it is how I used Siri. Would that work with RTM and non-pro?
Posted 12 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.