Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Does Push Syncing have negative impact on battery life?

action.manager says:
The battery of my (old) iPhone (3GS) is getting empty much sooner than it used to do. This started around the time RTM introduced Push Syncing for iOS:

http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2011/08/remember-the-milk-for-iphone-and-ipad-now-with-push-syncing/

Does Push Syncing have negative impact on battery life?

(like Push mail, which requires a constant active connection I believe)
Posted at 6:51pm on August 11, 2011
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Push syncing only applies to the Remember The Milk app when it is open/active (i.e. it can't push a sync in the background) so this shouldn't affect your iPhone's battery life (unless you leave the app open for an extended period of time and make change after change in the web app ;).

More generally, Push Notifications in general are designed to minimize any one app's effect on the battery (by centralizing all notifications through only one "connection"—to Apple's Push Notifications Service—rather than each app managing its own connections), so one particular app shouldn't cause any more battery use than the rest.

That said, if you have any other questions/concerns, please let us know!
Posted 13 years ago
janvanderploeg says:
Is this service still up? I haven't seen the web app or my iPhone app updating via Push syncing for a while ..
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi janvanderploeg,
Yes, the Push Syncing service is still available. If you're not able to receive updates via push sync, would you be able to contact us so we can take a closer look?

Thanks!
Posted 12 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.