Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

push notifications do not seem to be working--DNS issue?

rcamner says:
I just heard about the new push notification feature for the iPhone. Cool!

It only seems to work in one direction for me. With RTM open in Safari (5.05) I created a new task due today on the iPhone and it immediately appeared in Safari (yay!).

I then deleted the task in Safari, and 10 minutes later, it's still on my iPhone (I'm connected via WiFi).

Using my friend Google, I turned up the fact that this may be a DNS issue. WiFi connection at work was set to use a local DNS server, and an Apple Discussion post suggested using 194.150.168.168. Trying that DNS server fixed the issue.

The interesting thing is that push notifications have worked for other apps on the iPhone over WiFi in this location.

I really don't understand what's going on here, but it might be worth a FAQ so that others can try this trick to see if it works for them.
Posted at 9:19pm on August 30, 2011
rcamner says:
After continuing to play around with this, I'm learning that even this "fix" is inconsistent, alas. Seems that using push notifications with WiFi is definitely hit or miss. Too bad, as I much prefer to be connected via WiFi
Posted 13 years ago
brendan says:
Hi rcamner,
If push syncing is still working inconsistently for you, would you be able to contact us? We'd love to get some details and take a closer look at this.

Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I wonder if this is a firewall issue. I cannot use push notifications at work as the port Apple needs is not open.
Posted 13 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.